Wednesday, November 9, 2011

More Repair to This Old House

It isn't that old, but the house is a bit worn out.  This summer after an especially hard rain we had water in the basement.  At first it was just a little puddle, however soon with each subsequent storm it lengthened, and finally went in a small stream about 15 feet into the basement.

We knew when we purchased the home that it had several flaws, some glaring (why we painted a year ago) and some hidden.  Now is the time for hidden flaws to start revealing themselves.  Last month it was the washing machine that revealed a corroded hot water fitting.  That necessitated the repairs pictured in the previous entry.

Just prior to that good news we had decided to contact two companies about sealing the seepage through the basement wall.  Both came in at about the same price (no surprise), so I selected one and scheduled the work.  It took the utility companies quite a while to come out and paint their lines (as seen by the colored paint in the pictures.)

Finally, after a 4 week wait we received word the crew would arrive on Tuesday.  Here is a pictoral of what they did, and how it all looked in the end.  In the process we also discovered that the weeping tile is practically full of sediment.  Since we do not have any other problems in the basement right now, the excavations to actually get the pipe cleaned out will have to wait.

This is one job we did not desire to attempt on our own (especially Peter).  End cost will be about $1100.  The 13% HST kills us here.  The firm did offer to clean out the tile, but that would have run a minimum of another $500, and torn up a lot more places along the foundation.  Snow is predicted for Saturday .. so now is simply not the time for such an endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment