Friday, August 26, 2011

Summer to Autumn

Last post for today.  August 19, a week ago (!) was our 33rd Anniversary.  Tom called to ask if there was anything I needed him to pick up on his way home.  After discussing dinner, and knowing how he thinks, I assured him that I did not want that to include a bouquet of flowers.  You know, all romantic and such.

I said I'd prefer to have some nice live mums for autumn colors.  Did I mention I'm thrifty (or cheapskate, depending on your pov)?

This is what he picked out at Lowe's the next day, planters and all!



Those pretty yellow flowers are actually from a run away flowerbed next to the deck.  Somewhere in all those volunteers are two rose bushes and some flowering bushes.  Maybe in between helping with the fence tomorrow I'll get busy and weed out that bed and the strawberry bed!  Or not.  Depends on how I feel.

The lettuce, rosemary and peppers I planted are still growing, despite benign neglect.  The dahlias have slowed down with their blooms, the daisies are getting a second wind, and the other flowers died back, but have sent up more green (probably begging not to be dumped out to make room for the avocados.)  The peppers won't produce, but I really have a hard time dashing their hopes and dreams of producing fruit.  I'll probably let the first frost take care of that.


As you can see by these close-ups of our deck, that will probably be next year's project.  That and the driveway rebricking.  Sigh.  I'm tired just thinking about next summer.  So I won't.  Instead, enjoy your almost last August weekend!

1 comment:

  1. LOVELY! As you know, nothing is growing here because of the drought; thank you for sharing your color.

    ReplyDelete